The Word of God is for all people, wherever we find ourselves, God’s Word is for all of us. It is our desire to better understand scripture and to grow in wisdom, but just because we haven’t discovered it yet doesn’t mean that it isn’t true.
1 Thessalonians 3 – Pray that the Word of God would have freedom and be able to minister to our hearts this week.
2 Chronicles 30 – We need to be renewed day by day. We tend to have weeds growing in our lives, we need to set aside time to rekindle the flame, revisit where we are.
Hezekiah invited all the people of Judah to come to the House of the Lord in Jerusalem and return to God. In verse 9 he reminds them that God is gracious, that God is merciful. Let us not forget that ourselves. We serve a God today that is yet gracious and merciful.
Renewal, revival, is always conditional. Hezekiah says “if ye return to the Lord.” Our renewal is always going to be conditional. Hezekiah messengers were laughed to scorn as they shared the message that they were to give. The people thought there was no need for a return to the Lord.
In verse 11 we see a contrast! There were those who did heed the message of king Hezekiah. They said, “yes, we will return.”
Six Things That Must Take Place for Revival
- We must humble ourselves. We’ll never experience renewal unless we have humble hearts. It goes directly against our nature, we are a proud people… Sometimes this is painful. Our loving Father tends to take us through times in life that are meant to humble us. God resists the proud, but He gives grace to the humble. The only way we can receive grace is if our heart is humble.
- There must be a turning back, or turning to the Word of God, to the absolute truth of the Word of God.
- When there is revival there is a renewal, there is a destroying of evil. True revival makes a difference in the way that we live. Jesus reminded us that sometimes we need to put the knife things and “cut them off.”
- When there is revival, sin must be seen as shameful. Sin must bring guilt. In many ways in the world around us sin is no longer seen as sinful.
- When there is a renewal, there is cleansing. We continually need cleansing, we become filthy and dirty and so we need cleansing. The blood of Jesus cleanses us and makes us clean.
- We must seek God. There must be a seeking after God. Are you seeking the face of God tonight? Are you searching for God and seeking after Him? God reveals Himself to those who pursue Him, it is a lifetime of pursuit.
- If I am spiritually dead, I have no appetite for the things of God. I won’t seek God.
- If we are spiritually sick, we lose our appetite for God and the things of God.
- If we are feeding on junk food spiritually, the filth of this world will destroy our hunger for God and the things of God.
If there is going to be renewal we must seek God with our whole hearts. Do we want God to encompass every corner of our life?
Six Results of Revival
- Renewal and revival will always bring healing to a people, both individually and collectively.
- Renewal and revival will always bring praise and gladness.
- Renewal and revival will always bring confession. If we’ve failed, we confess. There is honesty and transparency, hypocrisy must not be a part of that revival experience.
- Renewal and revival will always bring rejoicing.
- Renewal and revival will always bring great joy.
- God hears the prayers of those who are renewed.
Though the outward man perishes, the inward man must be renewed day by day.
Scriptures used – 1 Thessalonians 3, 2 Chronicles 30, Micah 7:18, Matthew 11:8, 2 Chronicles 7:13, Psalm 27:8, Philippians 3:10, Matthew 23