Note: To download the mp3 file directly from this page, right click the download button and choose Save Link As… Browse to where you want to save the file and click save. Also you can subscribe to the podcast feed in your favorite RSS reader or on iTunes using the options in the sidebar.
This sermon – Does God Have Your Ear? – was originally preached 2013.04.07 Sam Troyer.
Passages used: John 10:1-16, Deuteronomy 8:3, Acts 5:29, 1 John 4, John 8:44, John 8:47, 1 Corinthians 2:14, Revelation 3:20, Hebrews 3:8-15, 1 Kings 19.
Does God Have Your Ear? (The Voice of the Shepherd)
We hear many voices every day. There are all kinds of voices.
In many ways God’s voice is not being heard today, not even in churches. There is only one way out of such a spiral downward, that is to hear the voice that we cannot disbelieve, the voice of God. God wants to speak into our lives and He wants to have input in our lives.
Jesus explained to Satan while he was in the desert being temped, that man is not to live only by bread but also by the words that come from the mouth of God. We need to live with God’s input in our lives each and every day. God has spoken in the past, but He also wants to continue to communicate with us.
We must be quiet in order to hear God’s word. God wants to talk to you this morning. God wants to speak to you through the different channels that He has put in place.
The Voices that We Hear
- The voice of man – Husband, Wife, Boss, etc…
- The voice of Satan.
- The voice of self.
- The world system
- The voice of God
Prerequisites for hearing His voice
- To hear God’s voice we need to be saved. To be able to hear God’s voice we need to know His voice.
- We must also want to hear God’s voice – Receptivity.
- We must have discernment to distinguish God’s voice from the other voices we hear.
- We need to exercise our faith in God if we want to hear His voice.
- We must be quiet and attentive before God if we want to hear Him speak.
Purposes for Hearing His Voice
- God wants to have communion with us, this is one of the purposes for being able to hear His voice.
- God wants to communicate to us His character.
- He wants to communicate His presence.
- He wants to communicate His holiness to us.
- He wants to communicate His love to us.
- He wants to communicate His will to us.
- He wants to communicate His faithfulness to us.
- Our Obedience to His voice. Not just hear His voice, but also obey His voice.
God’s Provisions for Hearing
- God usually speaks to us through His Holy Spirit.
- God will speak to us through the Scripture.
- God will speak to us through other believers – our brothers and sisters in Christ.
- God will talk to us through the experiences that we have in life.
Does God have Your Ear?
God is still speaking and He wants to have your ear. Does He have yours?