What is a good method for choosing good music? This morning we are going to look at some music tests that should be helpful for all of us.
We all have personal tastes and opinions that form how we look at music. Personal tastes and opinions are not enough for looking at and deciphering what music we should be listening to. We are human, and we don’t see things clearly always.
- Scripture test – Are there any lies in the music that we are listening to? We can’t listen to lies, sensuality, rebellion, etc without being affected.
- Lyrics test – Carefully consider what the words actually say. Find the words of the song. What do they, without the music say?
- First and Greatest Commandment test – How does my music affect me? Is my music an idol to me?
- Mixing of the two Kingdoms test – What about crossover music? Where should the line be? We can’t see anyones heart or intentions, we don’t want to doubt anyones sincerity, but when the two kingdoms are mixed as if it doesn’t matter that is a red flag.
- Excellence vs. Compromise test – Music is communication, it suggests ways to live. We become what we feed on. What does my music promote? Is it entertainment or is it admonition? What fruit does my music grow in my life?
- Body language test – Lets not sugarcoat something just because we happen to like it. A coat of nice paint doesn’t change a Trojan horse.
- Associations test – There are a lot of trees to eat from in the Forrest of music. Why would we choose ones that are questionable? Are we feeding on the best that there is?
- Meat offered to idols test – The idol is powerless, the meat is unaffected. However the association with the idol offended people, be careful for how your choices affect your brother or sister.
- Prayer and surrender test – Being a Christian means we belong to Jesus Christ. We surrender to Him. Nothing should be held back, not even music. We tend to want to hang on to what we love. Music is something that can be incredibly deeply woven into our hearts. Lord, what do you think about this music?
- “Leaning tree” test – We’ve all seen trees that have fallen. Perhaps a storm comes through and a tree gets blown down. Which way does a tree fall? We know how gravity works, generally it falls the way its leaning. Most music pushes in one direction or another. When we make compromised music a habit we the pull of our flesh can pull us further and further towards the ground. Good music on the other hand does the opposite!
Scriptures used – Ephesians 5:19, 2 Kings 6, Philippians 4:8, 1 Thessalonians 5:22, 2 Kings 17:33-41, 2 Corinthians 7:1, 1 Corinthians 8, Psalm 139
This is part of a series of sermons preached by Steve Yoder at Youth Rally 2022. Here is a list of the sessions in order.
- Basis for Choices in Music
- The Power of Music #1
- The Power of Music #2
- Music Tests #1
- Using the Right Measuring Tape – Music Tests #2